Sunday, June 26, 2016

Detective Comics #934

Overview: The issue starts off with it appearing that Azrael is being beaten up by Batman. The real Batman arrives on the scene and discovers a drone.

The scene shifts to Batwoman who gets approached by Batman. He wants her to train the new vigilantes in Gotham. They go out and recruit Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan and Clayface to form a sort of team. The issue ends with a mysterious figure giving a speech to an army of men dressed up as Batman.

Final Thoughts: Now this is more like it. I have been dying to have Tim, Cass and Steph back into the fold in a meaningful way. This issue really got me excited to see the direction of the Rebirth era Batman titles.

The idea of Batman using Clayface for good is an interesting idea. I'm curious to see how they'll work him into the Bat-Family and if it ends up being a long term move or something that's just going to lead to some twist ending.

As a long time reader of the Batman titles I'm happy to see the Family getting restored. I'm really hoping this means a return of the Tim Drake that we all know and love. I felt like Tim was one of the biggest losses in the New 52 changes. He became one of my favorite DC characters during the 2000s and I think he adds a much needed balance to the Bat-Family.

I was really critical of the Batman Rebirth issue but this was a much better effort. I really think this is what that issue should have been. Good introduction to the direction and the characters that will be in the books going forward. It also gave a quick but good insight to the personalities and workings of the various characters.

I'd give this a B for a good first effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment