Monday, June 27, 2016

Superman: Rebirth #1

Before we get into this issue I wanted to talk about the state of the Superman franchise. I feel that out of all the characters in the New 52 that Superman suffered the most.

When I was younger I thought Superman was boring but as I became an adult I grew to appreciate his world. As a now 30 something I love how Clark Kent strives to be a normal man with a normal life when he's not Superman. I've also grown to really enjoy his supporting cast of characters.

When the New 52 hit it just wasn't Superman anymore. Instead of the guy that wanted to be a regular guy we got angst ridden guy in anime armor. It just didn't work for me and I stopped reading Action Comics and Superman. So going into this, I've really only read New 52 Superman in the Justice League or outside appearances. So for me, I really have no idea what happened with New 52 Superman. I would check in with recaps here and there and it never sounded good.

So I'm going into this reboot pretty cold. I really liked seeing the Pre-Flashpoint Clark Kent pop up. That actually got me to give the Superman books a try.

Overview: The Pre-Flashpoint Clark Kent encounters Lana Lang. Clark believes the New 52 Clark will rise from the dead. He tells Lana the story of his battle with Doomsday and how he died and came back. Lana helps Clark find the Fortress of Solitude so he can use a Regeneration Matrix to bring his counterpart back to life.

There isn't on in this universe and Clark accepts that his counterpart won't be coming back. Clark helps Lana bury the New 52 Clark and builds a statue to honor him in the Fortress of Solitude.

Final Thoughts: That plot doesn't sound like much written out but it does play out better on paper.

You know what. This was a really strong first issue. It felt right, it felt like Superman. It really makes me happy to have the old Clark Kent back and this book feels like a promising start to a new series. I will eagerly be checking out the next issues of Action Comics and Superman.

The art was really strong in this issue and I thought it was well written. I like how they did a far callback to the Doomsday battle and used that to justify Clark's motivations. I am a little unsure about Clark just sitting on the sidelines in this new universe for so long without stepping in and battling someone like Darkseid.

This issue was really good closure to the New 52 era of Superman. They said goodbye to that character in a respectable manner. But I also think a lot of people are ready to have the real Superman back for good.

I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've read from the DC Rebirth books so far. I've liked 4 of the titles I've read out of 5. That's a good ratio so far. I'm optimistic that Didio and company have finally learned some lessons and changed accordingly.

I give this a solid B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment