Thursday, June 23, 2016

Green Lanterns: Rebirth #1

Before we get into this review. I just want to be honest about Green Lanterns. Out of the titles on my pull list right now this one has the least leeway. Simon Baz has never really done anything for me and I'm not sold on Jessica Cruz. But, it is a Green Lantern title so I'm going to give it a fair shot to win me over.

So let's get into this review. So far I loved the DC Universe Rebirth issue and was pretty lukewarm about the Batman Rebirth issue.

Overview: There's not much in the way of action in this issue. We see a Guardian with a mysterious box trying to escape the Dominators in the early part of the issue. Then we get an introduction to the backstory of Simon Baz and a lesser introduction for Jessica Cruz.

They get called to action and face off with a Manhunter. This turns out to be a simulation that they failed. Hal Jordan appears and lectures them on the importance of teamwork and fuses their batteries together to try and force the issue. He also introduces them to the Justice League before heading off to deal with Sinestro. We end the issue with Atrocitus making an appearace.

Final Thoughts: I was really skeptical going into this issue. Simon Baz is just one of those characters that has never grabbed me. I know I've read books with him as a character but nothing has ever stood out to me as far as moments or anything that really defines the character.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Unlike Batman this provided a really good introduction to what this series is going to be in the future. I really like the idea of Baz and Cruz having to work together and not really wanting to. I also thought they made Baz and Cruz very interesting as characters I am not familiar with.

This book also felt a little more lighthearted than a lot of the New 52 titles over the last 5 years. It wasn't a comedy but things didn't feel so grim and gritty.

I also liked seeing the Dominators pop up. It feels like a really long time since I've seen them outside of the Legion of Superheroes. That was really refreshing to see. On the other side of that I wasn't happy to see Atrocitus at the end of the issue. I've really grown tired of the whole Emotional Spectrum and other Lantern Crops that have dominated the GL titles for the last decade. I've been ready to move on and I think I'm just going to have to be patient for the time being.

Overall I'm excited to read this book going forward. I think the premise is solid and they have two interesting characters to carry it. I think this book might actually have some chance for success if the writing is good going forward. I was really surprised that I enjoyed this.

I'd give this book a solid B. Quality start to this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment